Acne Treatment Clinical Trials by Intertek
7 July 2015
Intertek can run clinical trials for acne products which include patient recruitment solutions and experienced assessors.
Acne vulgaris is experienced by up to 90% of people during adolescence, with varying severity and with some people suffering into middle age. Factors which play a role in the development of spots are among others, sebum production, hormones and hereditary bacterial colonisation of the skin. Boys are more affected than girls. The presence of acne on the face particularly, is a source of extreme distress and new treatments are eagerly awaited by acne sufferers.
Intertek has considerable experience with the recruitment and management of clinical trials to determine the efficacy and safety of novel treatments for acne. Clinical trial expertise includes a database of pre-qualified volunteers (with an age range from pre-teen to middle age) and examiners with experience of the assessment of acne. At Intertek we have expertise in several measurement techniques.
Visual acne assessment including:
- Assessment of inflamed lesions (papules & pustules) and non-inflamed lesions (blackheads & whiteheads)
- Investigator’s Global Assessment (IGA) Scale
- Lesion counts
- Lesion size
- Dermal Irritancy scoring
- Tolerance assessment
Additional techniques offered:
- Courage & Khazaka Sebumeter (Sebum measurement)
- Controlled, reproducible photography for image capture and analysis
- Quantitative sampling of cutaneous microflora on skin
- Quality of Life Questionnaires
Through a number of research partners, Intertek are also able to provide supporting microbiology services, to complement a clinical trial.